The Raptor Resource Project in Decorah, Iowa, has mounted an eagle webcam (eagle webcam FAQs), to track the daily life of a nesting bald eagle pair who are hatching eaglets. The sturdy looking nest is high up in a cottonwood tree with large twigs and small branches on the outside, and fluffy material on the inside. There is usually an adult eagle sitting on the nest and if you are patient you will see two fuzzy eaglets pop out from under the eagle, along with an egg that may hatch any minute; the eaglets look like tiny bandits with black markings around their eyes. The two eaglets seem to treat the egg as if it were a coffee table, leaning on it as they get their wobbly bearings. There is an array of “leftovers” scattered about the nest which the nesting eagle chews up and feeds to the babies. Get the facts on bald eagles, check out the webcam and send an eagle ecard to a friend.
About This BlogWelcome to Dispatches from the Stacks, a blog by the National Geographic Society Library and Archives. Pulled together by our library staff, this space aims to offer fellow librarians, archivists, book lovers, and National Geographic members a glimpse inside the collections of National Geographic. We will share some of the gems that can be found on our bookshelves, our archives, and in our web pages. Whether you’re interested in breaking news about a recent scientific discovery or discovering an old-fashioned adventure tale, like you, we think that good stories about the world — and everything in it – never get old. . . . More.
- The Time Is Out of Joint (Earth Current) | Dispatches From the Stacks http://fb.me/RyUPApT0 2 years ago
- Even straight-A students are getting F's when it comes to climate change knowledge. http://fb.me/wzzxWSDQ 2 years ago
- Researchers have developed an algorithm to help people minimize regrets. http://fb.me/QY030iZN 2 years ago
- I posted a new photo to Facebook http://fb.me/WSiBnBUp 2 years ago
- Need some music to get you in the mood for National Library Week? Check out NG Librarian Michael Jourdan's... http://fb.me/uqKf5smw 2 years ago